Top 5 Ingredients for aging skincare
Healthy-Looking Skin at Any Age
Having a healthy-looking, glowing complexion is absolutely within reach through our 40’s and beyond. Reviewing your skincare routine is a good place to start. Knowing which ingredients are effective for helping mature skin look as healthy and beautiful as possible.
The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles are part of our journey in life. Dull-looking skin and an uneven appearance can also show as we mature. Old scars we thought were gone for good may also become more visible. While we fully embrace aging (the alternative is decidedly much less desirable) and all of the wisdom and experience we’ve gained with age, we also want to look and feel beautiful and comfortable in our skin. We’ve selected our top 5 favorite ingredients to help our skin age gracefully and to keep us looking and feeling our best at every age.
Top 5 Aging Skin Ingredients
- Hyaluronic Acid: When skin is dry, I mean REALLY dry, it reminds me of a dried up lake bed. Cracks and crevices everywhere! Hyaluronic Acid is one of the best ways to bring moisture to dry skin. Imagine that dried up lake bed being suddenly flooded with water. This is what hyaluronic acid feels like, and the best part is that with all of that moisture filling up your skin there’s far less chance that your skin will resemble that lake bed at all. This is why it’s one of our favorite ingredients for aging skin. Need to know more about this amazing ingredient? Check out our Hyaluronic Acid blog and YouTube Channel. Pro tip: Hyaluronic Acid pairs beautifully with Vitamin C for an even more noticeable effect.
- Vitamin C: Scientific studies show that vitamin C helps reduce the appearance of aging and sun damage. Products that contain vitamin C are best used in after sun products and at night.
- CoQ10: When applied topically, CoQ10 can help skin appear more youthful. CoQ10 is not only critical to the cells ability to produce energy, it’s also critical to the production of collagen and elastin. Collagen is important because it makes skin appear firm and smooth, while elastin gives your skin the appearance of flexibility and elasticity. The loss of collagen and elastin can cause skin to appear wrinkled and sagging. It’s no wonder this amazing ingredient made our list! Pro tip: CoQ10 works synergistically with caffeine so if formulating with CoQ10, add a little caffeine for an even more noticeable effect.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids: Exfoliation helps to reveal fresh skin which becomes more important as we age. I like to think of AHA’s as a tool to help my skin refresh itself a little faster. Just like my reading glasses turn fuzzy pages into crystal-clear text, AHA’s help my skin refresh it’s youthful crystal clarity.
- Ceramides: Ceramides are lipid molecules found in cell membranes that help skin retain moisture. Ceramides help restore moisture and act as a natural barrier protecting the skin from our environment and from drying. These powerful little molecules are a must have for aging skincare. Pro tip: Retinol can be extremely drying so pairing ceramides with retinol helps to keep skin moisturized while still receiving all of the benefits of retinol.
While these may be our favorite top 5 aging skin ingredients, there are many more to be sure. The wonderful thing about the rapidly expanding natural beauty market is that with more investment and research, more ingredients from natural sources are available than at any other time in history. I am very excited about the possibilities these ingredients offer, especially as I age. I want to feel and look my very best at age 47 this year, and for the rest of my life!