The long-enduring skincare benefits of rose
Use of the rose flower to create skincare and beauty products is a long documented practice–even Cleopatra was said to cleanse her face with rose water and bathe in rose pedals. In modern times, the intoxicating and familiar scent of rose reminds us of springtime and passionate love (think Valentine’s Day). In our hometown of Portland, Oregon, affectionately nicknamed “The City of Roses,” we patiently wait for spring and the emergence of the fragrant blooming buds that line our city streets.
Though the practice of scenting perfumes and beauty products with rose is ubiquitous, and to some passé, it has endured for a reason. The rose flower and its oil provide a delicate, natural aroma and boast a powerful punch of vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids when used in skincare and beauty product formulation.
Below are some of our favorite Essential products featuring the rose:
Facial toners are used after cleansing and are an essential step to keeping skin looking fresh, nourished and replenished!
Essential’s Rosewater Facial toner is:
- a super-hydrating facial toner with the delicate scent of rose
- formulated with multi-beneficial rose distillate in a base of soothing organic aloe and moisturizing glycerin
- perfect for all skin types, but especially mature or sensitive skin
- delicately scented
Facial cremes and lotions formulated with rosehip seed oil are chock full of vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. Essential’s Rosehip & Hibiscus Facial Creme:
- is formulated with rosehip oil is a rich source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- contains vitamin C, which is high in gamma linoleic acid (GLA), and contains polyunsaturated fatty acids (vitamin F), also known as essential fatty acids (EFA)
- also features hibiscus extract with antioxidant properties. It blends perfectly with the rosehip oil to create a synergetic combination for all skin types. Hibiscus is also widely used in India for its natural astringent properties
- is rich with vitamins for noticeable skin care results
- Rose Hip oil is extracted from ripened fruit of a hybrid, thorny, wild rosebush native to South American countries. Rose hip oil is a rich source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, is high in gamma linoliec acid (GLA).
- The oil is an emollient and strengthens the hair shaft. According to the AMA’s committee on Coetaneous Health emollients can help make the skin feel softer and smoother.