Konjac Powder – Ingredient Highlight
Deep in the mountains of Southwest China you’ll find an unusual and distinctive flowering plant: Amorphophallus konjac. In skin care, it is the ground powder of the plant’s root that is used as a water-soluble moisturizing agent. Also known as devil’s tongue, voodoo lily, and elephant yam, konjac is a versatile plant used for over 1,500 years as a mineral-rich food source and beauty product. It’s absorbent, gentle, and so soft that infant diapers and clothes are made from the fibrous plant and root!
Konjac in Cosmetic Formulations
Konjac Powder is comprised of a high viscosity soluble fiber called glucomannan, which can expand to 100 times its volume in water making it an extremely effective humectant in cosmetic. Konjac is rich in protein, lipids, fatty acids, plus vitamins A, B, C, D, & E, and natural minerals such as copper, zinc and magnesium. With this powerful combination of natural ingredients and gentle thickening ability, Konjac Powder also shines for use in the skin care arena as an exciting plant-based ingredient alternative to synthetic polymers, such as carbomer.
Konjac Powder is perfect for creating a variety of bath, body, skin and hair care products that require gelling/texturizing effects similar to those provided by synthetic polymers. Use Konjac to help formulate clear, stable gels that maintain a soft and pleasing feel, without any tackiness, while providing a clean, plant-based ingredient option.
How to Use Konjac
- Dosage: 0.5% gives same consistency of approx. 1% xanthan gum recipe; 1% Konjac Glucomannan Gel Powder makes a thick gel.
- When using boiling water it thickens faster than if using cold water.
- To help as a thickener in an emulisified product like lotion, creams, etc., use 0.05 -0.5%.
Try this Natural Hair Keratin Conditioner formula with Konjac and let us know what you think.
Keratin Natural Hair Conditioner Recipe
Keeping frizzy hair away is the main goal of this formulation. The action of the keratin combined with glycolic acid helps hair to be smooth and manageable, marula and avocado oil add nourishment, and konjac adds that silky feeling. All of these amazing ingredients combine in the Basic Conditioner base for a deep conditioning, custom conditioner!
½ Gallon 81% Basic Conditioner
- Gently heat using stove top or microwave ½ Gallon Basic Conditioner to 180F and remove from heat.
- In a separate container, combine 2 ½ oz keratin and 2 ½ oz glycolic acid solution
- Add the keratin and glycolic mixture to the heated Basic Conditioner while mixing with a stick blender or high shear mixer until fully blended.
- Add 2 oz marula oil and 2 oz avocado oil and continue mixing.
- Slowly add 1oz konjac powder by sprinkling into mixture while continuously mixing with stick blender or high shear mixer.
- Mix until all ingredients are well-blended.
- Once the conditioner has cooled to room temperature, pour into bottles or back into original ½ gallon container and enjoy!