How to Make a Keratin Treatment for Natural Hair: Recipe & Video
Keratin is a wonderful ingredient for hair care, and indeed is a building block of hair itself. The high percentage of keratin combined with the glycolic acid solution in this beautiful and easy recipe helps strengthen and smooth hair, leaving locks feeling strong, soft, and shiny.
Why Use Keratin for Hair Care?
If you’d like to learn more about Keratin and how it is a great ingredient in hair care, start here. Keratin is a key part of all types of hair and routine styling can damage our natural keratin. Think blow drying, straightening, curling, and dying hair. All these activities can increase frizziness and reduce shine. Adding hydrolyzed keratin to hair care formulas restores luster, body, and manageability to hair. To put it simply, keratin is the best answer to keeping frizziness away!
This 7-ingredient recipe is easy to make and yields great results. It will help boost hair of all types, and is a special pampering treatment you could use perhaps once a month. You’ll apply it in the shower, rinse out, style and enjoy! This process is similar to a Brazilian blowout treatment, without the release of aldehydes. Be sure to follow the use instructions for best results!
Equipment You’ll Need:
• Measuring cups
• Mixing bowls
• Stick blender/ High shear mixer
• 2 Cups (61%) Basic Conditioner
• ¼ cup (15%) Hydrolyzed keratin protein
• ¼ cup (15%) Glycolic acid solution
• 1 Tbsp (2%) Vegetable glycerin
• 1 ½ Tbsp (3%) Marula oil
• 1 ½ Tbsp (3%) Avocado oil
• 1 Tsp (1%) Konjac powder
1. Gently heat using stove top or microwave 2 Cups of Basic Conditioner to 180F and remove from heat.
2. In a separate container, combine ¼ cup keratin and ¼ cup glycolic acid solution
3. Add the keratin and glycolic mixture to the heated Basic Conditioner while mixing with a stick blender or high shear mixer until fully blended.
4. Add 1 Tbsp vegetable glycerin, 1 ½ Tbsp marula oil and 1 ½ Tbsp avocado oil and continue mixing.
5. Slowly add 1 Tsp konjac powder by sprinkling into mixture while continuously mixing with stick blender or high shear mixer.
6. Mix until all ingredients are well blended.
7. Once the conditioner has cooled to room temperature, pour into bottles or back into original ½ gallon container.
Directions for Use
1. Apply after thoroughly cleaning hair. We recommend using Deep Cleansing Natural Hair Shampoo (https://youtu.be/DRrpF4vlNtY) or Vital Skin Face & Body Wash.
2. Squeeze out excess water and apply a generous amount of the Keratin Treatment.
3. Leave on for 15 – 20 minutes.
4. Lightly rinse hair, just enough so that the Keratin Treatment is no longer visible.
5. Gently towel dry hair. If you want to let your hair air-dry, you will notice the shine and smoothness, but your curls should be intact and bouncy.
6. For straightening hair, blow dry completely until hair is completely dry.
7. Once hair is completely dry, use a straightening iron on high heat (410F or higher for best results).
If you need additional help, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-252-9639. We’d love to know what you think!