Ingredient Highlight – Color & Pigments
Color adds vibrancy to our world, affects our emotions and moods, and makes what may otherwise seem ordinary, extraordinary. As individuals we’re drawn to certain colors, and while you may not know exactly why, it probably has something to do with how that color makes you feel. With the powerful impact color has, it may be time to consider adding a little color or pigment to your hair and skincare products!
Working with Colors and Pigments
While playing with color is certainly fun, there are a few important things you need to know when working with pigments and colors.
- pH is a huge factor when it comes to color. You may have seen hydrangea bushes that are a brilliant blue one year, and then pink the next. This is due to the pH of the soil (and the availability of aluminum but that’s another topic). A higher pH will help produce a pink flower, and a lower pH will help produce a blue flower. Be sure to experiment with this as adjusting pH to be ideal for skin may change the color significantly.
- Before adding a color or pigment to your product, be sure to view our video on working with color, so you know exactly how to work the color into your product without having gritty bits, uneven tones, or unexpected results. Working with Colors & Pigments
- Use Titanium Dioxide to adjust the tone of your colors. Titanium Dioxide is as important to creating the right color as any of the colors and pigments you purchase, so be sure to add this to your list.
Colors & Pigments FAQs
- Will these stain my skin or clothes?
In all of our testing, none of these colors and pigments have stained skin, however, it’s possible that staining could happen. We suggest testing a small area of skin before using to make sure it doesn’t stain. We also suggest using Micellar Water to clean off face paints and makeup. We have noticed that they do tend to stain clothes so be sure to test colors on fabric before using.
- Are these safe to use for kids?
Yes, generally these are safe to use for kids, however, please seek medical advice if your child consumes any color or pigment.
We know you’ll have fun working with all of the different colors Essential offers. Share your favorite color projects in the comment section; we’d love to see what you create!