Behentrimonium Methosulfate BTMS
Behentrimonium Methosulfate is an excellent emulsifier. Derived from Colza Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate or BTMS is key when looking to create amazing hair care conditioning products, which is why it is often referred to as the “Conditioning Emulsifier”. Gentle and effective, BTMS helps hair retain a springy bounce, volume, and silky smoothness. Because it’s so mild, it’s suitable for leave-in conditioners as well. BTMS can be used as the primary emulsifier in creams, lotions or hair conditioners. BTMS can also emulsify many silicones (up to 50% in a formulation). BTMS is also very effective for use in skin and body care products, especially when a light, powdery soft, non-greasy feel and finish is desired.
The best way to get familiar with this multifunctional emulsifier is to use it! Check out this fun recipe for a non-greasy crafters lotion stick.
Crafters Lotion Stick
As a crafter, working with your hands is part of the fun of making your own products. Most projects require clean hands so if your hands are feeling dry, lotions are out of the question. With this Crafter’s Lotion Stick, you can apply lotion to the backs of your hands without worrying about a greasy residue on your palms and fingers!
Equipment You’ll Need
Scale or measuring spoons and cups
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Intermediate
Approximate yield: 1 Pound or 16 one ounce deodorant tubes
Approximate cost per pound: $13.37
Suggested Packaging: 1oz deodorant tubes
Suggested retail price: $4.00 – $8.00
- 0.64 LBS – 1 ½ Cups (64%) MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) Oil
- 0.08 LBS – ¼ Cup (8%) USDA Certified Organic Shea Butter
- 0.13 LBS – ½ Cup (13%) Candelilla Wax
- 0.07 LBS – 3 Tbsp (7%) Behentrimonium Methosulfate & Cetearyl Alcohol (BTMS)
- 0.04 LBS – 1/8 Cup (4%) USDA Certified Organic Cocoa Butter Wafers
- 0.03 LBS – 2 ½ Tbsp (3%) USDA Certified Hemp Seed Oil
- 0.01 LBS – 1 ½ Tbsp (1%) Non-GMO Vitamin E
- Melt all ingredients together EXCEPT the Shea Butter.
- Add the shea butter off heat and mix well until fully melted.
- Cool to 135F and pour into deodorant tubes. Leave until fully cooled to room temperature.
- Use anytime!
Please note that this recipe has not been challenge tested for preservation efficacy. If you use this recipe for market sales, it is up to you to ensure the safety of the product. We strongly recommend 3rd party challenge testing. If you need additional help, please contact us at email@example.com or 866-252-9639.